Palm devices used to be the best PDA devices available. This
changed with time as new smart phones emerged such as the iPhone.
Back when the Palm operating system was king I
wrote some applications for the my old Palm using a variety of
as Plua, and OnBoard C, which unlike Plua does not require a
runtime making your application a standalone. OnBoard also
allows you to write your program on the hamdheld device itself or on
the desktop, which is very convenient. I will tell you how
to freely download all those programs later.
Here is the AnovaMe application (left) that I wrote using OnBoard
C. I wrote this application while attending a statistics
course a few years back. The result is this nifty little
application that can do all the basic statistical
calculations. Of course I would have liked it to do
much more than that but I was restricted with memory limitations, so I
gave up on the more complex stuff and my ambition dwindled.
Actually the very first Palm application I wrote was the MortgageCalc
(right), which calculates the mortgage payments for any loan, and it
displays the amortization schedule as well. In addition, it
allows you to explore how prepayments shorten the term of the mortgage
and what savings can be achieved. I posted this application
on palmgear.com, as well as palmboulevard.com, freewarepalm.com and
tucows.com. It is becoming very popular. You can
download it for free from any of those sites.
The applications that I found most useful that I use them all the time
are organized by the following categories (there are equivalent
applications now in iPhone that I use):
- DateDiff - Calculates the number of days between any
- HappyDays - Reminds you of birthdays and important
anniversaries, a life saver.
- NFP - Keeps track of women's menstrual periods.
- PrayMind - Keeps track of prayer times, and gives the
direction to Mecca based on the sun.
- SpWatch - Stop watch.
- WatchM - Alarm clock.
- World Clock - Native application that came with the
- WorldCal - Converts Gregorian dates to many other
- AutoBase - Keeps track of your car's fuel
consumption, oil change, tire rotation and maintenance expenses.
- CMajor - Illustrates the different musical chords and
- DataViewer - Database program. I have the
phone code areas and the airport codes.
- DB - A flexible database program. I use it
to track my vacations and my books.
- HandyShpr - Nice program that is useful for making
- Inventory - I use it to track all things I buy from
- JFile 4 - Database program. I have the
medical drug names database and foods' calories database.
- McRecipe - I use it to save my food recipes.
- MovieStuff - I use it to track the movies I own.
- SecureIt - Encrypted database to store your passwords
and other secret information.
- Checkbook - I use it to record all money
transactions. Very useful to keep track of your finances on
- Chem Table - Table of elements.
- Easy Calc - Nice scientific calculator with plotting
- LyMe - Nice free version of Matlab on your PDA.
- Plua - Programming language. I used it to
write the MortgageCalc application.
- ProStats - Nice shareware statistics
program. Very powerful.
- SnapCalc5 - a handy pop-up calculator that you can
use without quitting your current application.
- Docs to go - Allows you to read and edit Word
documents and Excel sheets.
- fDic - A dictionary that gives you all words that
have certain letters for a given length. Useful for solving
cross word puzzles.
- Memos - Native palm memos application.
- NoahLite - Free lite dictionary.
- Palm Quran - The whole Quran in Arabic.
- PalmPDF - Allows you to read pdf files.
- PalmReader - Allows you to read Palm documents.
- Plucker - Allows you to download websites for offline
- SrcEdit - Nice editor for doc type documents
- TiBR - Similar to PalmReader.
- HandChess II - Nice and powerful chess game,
- MasterMind - The famous mastermind game.
- PilotMines - The famous Mines game.
- Prison - A very nice addictive game. Really
- Sea War MP - Blow the enemy's fleet.
- Sol Free - Nice free solitaire card game.
- Mapopolis - A free map reader. You have to
buy the county maps you need, typcically $10 per map.
- MetrO - Metro stations' maps for many cities around
- VisitIt - USA map with some details of the different
- VersaMail - Native mail program that allows you to
download your POP3 mail from your computer.
- Converter - Converts units for any quantity.
- DivDiv - Tip calculator.
- FileZ - Manager for all your palm files.
- Photos - Displays photos downloaded from the computer.
- RealOne - MP3 player.
- RsrcEdit - Editor for the plam data files.
- VoiceMemo - Native program to record voice memos.